News and Announcements
We are gearing up for the 2023 season and all questions can probably be answered in this link. If you have a questions that is not in this document, then please reach out.
Please note registration for the 2023 season does not open until 4/1. We are looking forward to our 2023 season.
Also we have 2 board positions that are open and need to get them filled for the season. Swim meets are not sustainable without these two important positions, please reach out if you are able to help.
1. Volunteer Rep- You are in charge of sending emails out to our Makos parents to get volunteers for our meets, movie nights…etc. You will set up the sign-up in Active and emails go out through Active. At meets you check everyone in and make sure we have all of our volunteer shifts covered. I will say our parents do an amazing job of stepping up and volunteering on meet day!! Megan Byrne will train this individual so you will not be thrown into this role.
2. Equipment Rep- This position requires physical labor and must have the flexibility to start home meet set up by 3pm. You are responsible for the maintenance and setup of equipment related to the swim season (setting up blocks on pool, and hanging the flags). You lead a team of volunteers to tear down and restore the pool deck and surrounding area pre and post home meet. Sets up and maintains audio equipment. Performs pre and post season inventory of all equipment/supplies and maintenance of same.
We also have a need to fill trained positions on meet days, strokes and turns, clerk of course, starter and table workers. If you are interested in learning a trained position, then please reach out to John Stevens email@example.com for details regarding positions and training times and locations.
Please reach out if you have any questions!
We finally have some plans for the upcoming swim team this summer. There is a lot of information in this, but should answer all of your questions.
JUNIOR TEAM: We will be having a junior team this year. Your swimmer should be able to swim, this is not a substitute for swim lessons!! This team is just for the child who may not be able to swim the full 25 meters across the pool, however they should be able to swim at least ½ of that. Once your child can swim a full 25 meters, they can move mid-season to join the Makos swim team and participate in a swim meet.
May 23- June 16 Practice Schedule
Monday-Thursday pm practices
4:15-5:15pm- 11 and older
5:15-6:00pm- 8 and under
6:00-7:00pm- 9 + 10 year old
June 20- remainder of season Practice Schedule
Monday-Wednesday and Friday am practices
7:30-8:10am- 8 and under
8:10-9:05am- 9 +10 year old
9:05-10:00am- 11 and older
Monday-Tuesday pm practices
5:00-6:00pm- 11 and older
6:00-7:00pm- 9 +10 year old
6:00-6:45pm- 8 and under
Thursday Fun Practice
9-10am – 11 and older
5:30-6:30pm- 10 and under
No practice on Memorial Day and 4th of July.
SWIM MEET SCHEDULE: We are back to normal this year!!!!!!!! For our home meets, swimmers should be at the pool by 4:45pm for check-in and warm-ups, and at away meets by 5 pm. The meet will start at 6pm. As in the past, Thursdays are our make-up date if the meet is postponed due to weather.
June 15- Hanover at Milestone
June 22- Old Church at Milestone
June 29-Milestone at Tuckahoe Village West
July 6- Milestone at Mechanicsville
July 13- Wembly at Milestone
July 19 (Tues) – Milestone at Bell Creek (Wed is rain make-up day)
July 30-31: Champs at Collegiate (child must qualify for this swim meet)
TO REGISTER FOR A MEET (ATTEND OR DECLINE)
From email you will receive
Go to website: www.milestonemakos.com
Click on parent portal (blue column on left side, keep scrolling it’s there)
Log in to your parent portal
Click on view meets
Check whether or not you are attending or not attending the meet.
Address to away meets:
Tuckahoe Village West
2100 Bradon Rd, Richmond, VA 23238
Mechanicsville Rec Pool
8183 Elm Dr, Mechanicsville, VA 23111
Bell Creek Pool
9001 Brigadier Rd, Mechanicsville, VA
COMMUNICATION REGARDING RAIN DELAYS AND CANCELLATIONS
This season we will be using the Remind me app to communicate with parents about practice cancellations (due to weather), swim meet information and to call swimmers to the clerk of course. Please be sure to download this app and register for the Milestone Makos class which can be done using this link once you have downloaded the app. https://remind.com/join/2e8b992
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES THIS SEASON:
New parent meeting – April 25 (6-7pm) at clubhouse
Disco Sports will be at meeting and will have a bathing suit fitting if unsure of child’s size.
Swim Kick-off- May 22 (5:30-7pm)
1st practice- May 23
Pictures: June 11 at 8:30am
Awards banquet- July 25 (6-9pm)
Champs social- July 29
MAKOS FEES (Please make sure you have a Milestone pool membership as well, you cannot swim on the team without being a member of Milestone pool):
1st child- $115
Each additional child-$75
15-18 year old child: $45
Plaque: $20 (for new swimmers and returning swimmers whose plaque is full)
*In order to receive the multiple children discount please register all of your children 14 and under in one transaction. If you have a 15-18 year old child, please see next bullet.
- If you have a 15-18 year old child and you are registering a child under the age of 14 too, then please do the transaction separately as you should not be getting the discount on the child under the age of 14 as the discount will be with your 15-18 year old child.
- If you have multiple children that are in the 15-18 year old age group then please do each of those transactions separately as well so you do not receive the multiple child discount, again the discount is already taken with the older children.
- If you have questions regarding the discounts please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
COACHES IN TRAINING (CIT)
We will be offering our coaches in training program this summer. Please reach out if your child is at least 12 years of age and interested in being a CIT this summer.
Orders for spirit wear can be placed here and all orders must be placed by 5/15. https://milestone22.itemorder.com/shop/sale/
TEAM SUITS AND SWIM CAPS
Bathing suits can be purchased at Disco Sports, just tell them you are with Milestone Makos and they can point you in the right direction. If you wish to purchase the suit at a different vendor (amazon or swim outlet), this is the uniform.
Girls- (red/black/white) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUJ6G0Q/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3VX72MEBB21JI&psc=1
Boys- (red/black/white) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUJ9PXQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A218NCVVSLQN1Q&psc=1
Swim caps- These have been ordered and I will have them available to purchase at the swim kick-off and they will be sold at concessions at every swim meet.
I know this is a lot of information but hopefully I have covered it all. I am very excited for the season and that it will be back to normal!!!! Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or need clarification on anything email@example.com . I look forward to this season!!
Milestone Makos facebook page:
We are excited to be planning for the 2021 Swim Team season, which will be led by Head Coach Alli Pryor and Asst. Coach Molly Sproull. At this time, we will not have a junior team due to COVID restrictions. Your swimmer must be able to swim a full 25 meters in order to join the Makos swim team. We hope to have our junior team back by Summer 2022.
Volunteer Needs: We need trained volunteers to be certified officials, computer rep, and clerk of course for this summer. We’ve been very fortunate to have these position covered by parents with older swimmers in past years, however these swimmers have now graduated or are graduating this year and we need to start thinking about the future of the team and getting new parents trained for these roles. Please check the GRAL website (www.gralva.com) or contact John Stevens firstname.lastname@example.org for details regarding positions and training times and locations. These trainings will be virtual and should be available in April.
New Makos Board openings: Your Milestone Makos’ board has a pressing need for two new board members for 2021! We need a Concessions Coordinator and Computer Representative. Job description below. Please contact Cindy Sabo at email@example.com if you are interested in one of these positions.
Concessions Coordinator: This individual is responsible for purchasing all of the snack items (e.g. ring pops, chips, drinks, etc…) from either BJS, Costco, Sams Club. You will keep all receipts to turn into treasurer to be reimbursed. On meet day you arrive a little earlier to set up the concessions, you will have volunteers who assist in the concessions area with you. This individual also coordinates with Papa Johns to have pizzas ordered for concessions. You are able to scoot out of concessions to watch your swimmer swim during meets.
Computer Representative: This is a BIG role and requires training. This individual assist with setting up swimmer registration on the website, confirms the roster with GRAL, sends meet entries to families, seeds the meet, prints heat sheets, verifies event times in the computer, uploads event results to meet manager, sends swim meet results to parents’ swimmers and coaches. Posts the swim meet results onto website and identifies triple/quad winners. Also keeps the Milestone records updated and keeps our website updated.
· April 18: New Parent Meeting, 6-7pm through zoom. Parents/caregivers are invited to join the zoom meeting to ask any questions they may have about the upcoming season. Zoom info: https://zoom.us/j/99879559749?pwd=SXlIUUtzUExtWjUrMisrK0dqSnZJdz09
Meeting ID: 998 7955 9749
· May 1: Registration opens
· May 23: Swim kick-off (5:30-7pm)- outside clubhouse
· June 1: First day of practice (stay tuned for practice schedule)
- June 12: Individual/Family pictures 8:45am
· SWIM MEET SCHEDULE: Wednesdays, June 9, 16, 23, 30, July 7 and 14. All meets will be virtual and completed at our Milestone pool.
Meet 5 (7/10) Entries
Meet 5 entries are attached to this news item.
Please let me know right away if you spot a problem or an error – I need to have any changes by 6pm tomorrow in order to send our entries to Battlefield Green on time.
If you have any questions, please let me know
Meet 4 Results!
Results have posted here – thanks for your patience!